Word Fact: Foggage

The word fog actually comes from its adjective, foggy, which in turn comes from the original noun: foggage.

In linguistics, this phenomenon is called back-formation. Other words that were formed this way include diplomat (from diplomatic) and pea (from pease).


Word Nerd by Barbara Ann Kipfer, 2007


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s